Made for Something Better
When life goes from good to bad and from bad to worse.
- Questions can turn into doubt and doubt to unbelief.
- Joy can turn into sadness and sadness to bitterness.
- Zeal can turn into apathy and apathy to disobedience.
Text: Exodus 1:8-22 - a very dark and difficult time in Israel’s history. These events were meant to prepare them and shape them for their future. It was written down for us - so that we could be equipped to go through dark and difficult times as well.
Two truths we need to know when things go from bad to worse.
1. No matter how bad things look at the time, God is still accomplishing his plans.
2. God is not unwilling to bring His people through dark and difficult times in order to prepare them for something better.
Navigating through Dark and Difficult Times:
1. Begin with the Big Picture - realize the larger cosmic battle taking place between God's ultimate plan to save a people from every nation through one man - and Satan’s ultimate desire to destroy God's plan / God's people.
2. Israel was caught in the crossfire and so are we.
a. Infanticide, slavery, oppression, fear-based racism (Israel)
b. Abortion, slavery, oppression, racism, unfair legal practices, etc. (Today)
How to Guard Your Soul in the Worst of Times
- Know that difficult times are part of the plan.
- Remember who you real Master is.
- Remember where your real home is.
- Live in the Fear of the Lord.
- Know that God uses the weak to accomplish his plans. (Example of the 2 single women who were courageous midwives who defied Pharaoh.)
1. No matter how bad things look, God is still accomplishing his plans in you.
2. God is not unwilling to bring you through dark and difficult times in order to prepare you for something better.
Walk it Out:
- When you go through dark times, what’s your temptation: doubting/sadness/apathy - or unbelief/bitterness/disobedience?
- What is one thing you could do right now (if you are going through a dark time) to guard your soul?
- What’s your “battle plan” for the future to help you guard against unbelief, bitterness, and disobedience the next time you experience a dark time?
- When are you tempted to forget who your Master is? Or where your real home is?
- How does the example of Shiphrah and Puah, the midwives encourage you in your weakness, or in your season of life?